My first trip with WowAir was to Iceland. My husband and I were able to book a direct flight from San Francisco to Keflavík, Iceland for almost a third of the cost of other airlines. As a precaution, you will need to pay for everything from reserving a seat to paying a carry-on bag fee. We were a little nervous and had our doubt at first, but with such affordable prices we decided to go for it! And I am glad we did, our overall experience was very positive. Here are my top tips for traveling with Wow Air.
1. Reserve seats. I highly recommend paying the few dollars extra to reserve your seat on the plane. Especially on a long haul flight like ours, we did not want to risk sitting apart from each other.
2. Baggage. This is an obvious one, but can easily be overlooked. Be sure to review the website to ensure your carry-on and personal bag are within the size limit. The fight staff personally check each luggage piece when you check-in and tag whether it will be stored under the seat or in the overhead compartment. Be sure to measure your bags at home and if you have a chance, use the luggage-size-check-unit at the gate. This way you can avoid paying any fees or having to upgrade. We seen quite a few travelers forced to check-in their carry-ons because the bag did not pass the check.
3. Food. Wow Air does not provide any complimentary snacks, even on the 8+hour flight like ours. You can purchase food on the plane but as you can imagine, it can really add up. My advise would be to bring a few snacks of your own. We brought pre-cut fruit, berries, a few Kind bars and of course, a bag of chips.
4. Drinks. As with food, there are no complimentary drink. That’s right, no complimentary water. My tip is to bring an empty water bottle that you can then fill up after you pass TSA. Most airports have water bottle filling stations or you can stop by the food court and ask to have your bottle filled.
5. Entertainment. There are no TV’s on the plane. You will have the option to purchase an iPad as with most airlines. We ended up bringing a laptop with a few movies ready to go. We ended up watching only one but it was good to have.
6. Comfort. I also recommend bringing a small blanket with you as the plane can get chilly. We did not bring one on our flight and ended up pulling out our down jackets to keep us warm.